My new uniform 8

Yoko




Felt skirt:
She is inspired by Joseph Beuys, especially famous for works incorporating animal fat and felt. It's all related to a mythic "real" event in which nomads saved his life after a plane crash by wrapping him in felt. She is interested in his felt works, and also this skirt is like wrapping her body. One of her hobby is making fabric of felt. His solo show was held at ATM in 2009. 




Thai fabric:
She loves Asian culture. Her first trip to abroad is Thailand and bought this beautiful fabric of national costume. She is going to make a cushion cover using the bottom part of this after this exhibition, so she already attached the fringe on the corner of the fabric.





Pink cotton line:
This shape design comes from painted wall of the Miranda July's exhibition space in this show. She used the same paint that gave from a technical staff of ATM, and painted on the fabric directly.
The piece of pink fabric was gift from Mayumi. Yes! That is the present which Pascale gave her on the first workshop, and she sewed this on the collar of her new uniform. Yoko used the rest of it. She got many advices from Mayumi, so she would like to represent her appreciation.





"I have kept this Thai fabric for fifteen years. For me it is special one and I couldn't cut it. When I decided to cut and took scissors, I felt that the fabric had only one memory. From now I make my new uniform by using this, it will be given the other new memory. It's difficult to explain how I feel, but I am happy now."  -Yoko